Notgeld Tourism

Welcome Forums GNCC Members Notgeld Tourism

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster
    • Forum Guru
    • ★★★★★★

Hi Mike!

Thanks for posting.  :good: It is always nice to see where people have visited in Germany. :bye:

Participant
    • Forum Lieutenant

I did a bit of Notgeld tourism recently.  My addition to this topic is a bit sad, though.  The note is the reverse of a 25 Pfennig from Düren.  It shows the town Wasserturm.  The tight view doesn’t show a beautiful fountain that was in front of it.

Unfortunately the water tower -and the majority of Düren- was destroyed in WWII.  The Platz is still there, but today it is just an open grassy area.

Keymaster
    • Forum Guru
    • ★★★★★★

The pictures look wonderful!

Participant
    • Forum Brigadier
    • ★★★★★

BAD LANGENSALZA

(internet)

Participant
    • Forum Brigadier
    • ★★★★★

BAD LANGENSALZA

(Holiday 2014)

Participant
    • Forum Brigadier
    • ★★★★★

SCHMALKALDEN Serie 3 Führer Schmalkaldischen Bundes)

(internet)

Participant
    • Forum Brigadier
    • ★★★★★

SCHMALKALDEN Serie 3 Führer Schmalkaldischen Bundes)

https://notgeld.com/wp-content/uploads/hm_bbpui/45795/ljd79ptueoko2nl52bh5ko780pvbmeaf.JPG

(Holiday 2014)

Participant
    • Forum Brigadier
    • ★★★★★

SCHMALKALDEN Serie 2 (Iweinbilder)

(internet)

Participant
    • Forum Brigadier
    • ★★★★★

SCHMALKALDEN Serie 2 (Iweinbilder)

(Holiday 2014)

Participant
    • Forum Brigadier
    • ★★★★★

SCHMALKALDEN Serie 1 (Landschaftsbilder)

(internet)

Participant
    • Forum Brigadier
    • ★★★★★

SCHMALKALDEN

(Holiday 2014)

Participant
    • Forum Brigadier
    • ★★★★★

Grünberg (Hessen)

After almost 100 years (almost) nothing has changed

(Holiday photo 2018. Note 1922)

Participant
    • Forum Brigadier
    • ★★★★★

Participant
    • Forum Brigadier
    • ★★★★★

DETMOLD, Hermanndenkmal (Varusschlacht)

This statue represents the battle in the Teutoburgerwald near the German city Detmold, between Varus and Arminius in 9 AD. The German troops of Arminius (Hermann) defeated  the Roman army of Varus. This battle was the end of the Roman conquests in the German territories to he east.

The statue was erected between 1838-1875 by Ernst von Bandel. Is is 50 meters high and has an internal staircase. The German states just recovered from the wars against Napoleon. Hermann was a representation of the founders of an united German empire and the longing to a German state. The statue faces to France as a warning.

(The picture is made in my holiday in 2017. The weather was beautiful (sorry John). The note is from the internet.

Participant
    • Forum Brigadier
    • ★★★★★

Keymaster
    • Forum Guru
    • ★★★★★★

This will be an interesting forum topic – thanks John. :good: (I’ve resized the images) and centred etc.

It is nice to see some of the notgeld graphics ‘in real life’. :yahoo:

Participant
    • Forum Guru
    • ★★★★★★

First of an occasional series of posts from my visits to places depicted on Notgeld! I had the inspiration a couple of weeks ago during a long and wet weekend in Hamburg, when I unexpectedly came across the Bismarck Monument from the 1 Mark note of the Kultur- und Sportwoche series (G/M539.1-3).  It was unsignposted and hidden behind some trees on top of a hill in a park by the St Pauli Piers, and I recognised it from the note.  Had to be worth a visit, so I braved the wind and drizzle and headed up for a closer view.

It shows Otto von Bismarck, the first chancellor of the Wilhelmine Reich, in anachronistic medieval plate armour and leaning on a sword and flanked by two imperial eagles, on a podium supported by eight naked, musclebound heroic figures representing the Germanic tribes.  It was erected between 1901 and 1906 according to plans of the architect Emil Schaudt and the sculptor Hugo Lederer.

I found it surrounded by a graffiti-sprayed hoarding topped with coils of barbed wire, and a little research locally told a very modern tale of controversy around statues of those associated with colonialism.  The monument has been undergoing cleaning since 2020 but organisations such as “Decolonize Bismarck” have been organising protests; there were certainly some very uncomplimentary graffiti messages amidst the unofficial urban artwork.  The Senate of Hamburg has pointed out that the Bismarck-Denkmal is a listed and protected monument from a historical, architectural and artistic perspective.

Hamburg GM 539

Bismarck Monument 2

Bismarck Monument 3

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
error: Content is protected !!